Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Always and Forever OR the Junior High Slow Dance


When I was in junior high school, I was absolutely BOY CRAZY. I planned my route through the halls according to which boy I currently liked. I wouldn't eat at lunchtime, as I didn't want a boy to see me with food on my face, shirt or lap. And, I would constantly scheme to find a way to be around these interesting creatures.

Luckily, I wasn't the only boy crazy one at West Junior High School. Eighty percent of the girls were in the same boat. Since we weren't of driving age, we were dependent on school activities to put us girls and the boys in the same arena. My favorite of these would be the school dances. They would be held in the gymnasium, and just a few of the bleachers would be pulled out; the remainder were flush against the wall. Our parents would drop us off and pick us up, or we would carpool with our friends. We'd start off in little groups together, trying to get up the nerve to dance in front of all our peers. The night would always begin with classics such as, "Brickhouse," "Play that Funky Music" and "I'm your Boogie Man." (I'm dating myself here...) I remember one dance where we actually danced the "Hustle" (now known as the Electric Slide) to Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom." Believe you me, that was quite a stretch to turn that song into a dance tune.

Anyway, the BEST part of the night was when they would throw in the SLOW DANCE. Oh, that was the most glorious dance IF you were dancing with the right boy. There was such anticipation the whole night, as you waited to see who would ask you to dance. Most of the boys that age were painfully shy, so we all just danced with friends. We would put our arms around the boys necks, and our waists were small enough that they could put their arms around them. (HA! That would be a trick nowadays!!!) We would sway back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. If you were really lucky, you'd turn in a small circle.

But, in the 9th grade, I fell in love with a boy named Charles Lane, and how I loved to dance with him. He smelled good (Brut 33) and was a good dancer. (that swaying back and forth was a challenge for many a pubescent boy, but not for Charles) And, the best song to dance to? Always and Forever, by Heatwave. Oh, what a wonderful tune! They always seemed to play that song at the very end of the night. I'd have that glorious sleepy slow dance thing going and then FLASH!! came on the overhead lights. It was like being woken up on a Monday morning for school. EEK!

To this day, I still enjoy the slow dance. I love to dance with Steven when we get the chance. (Usually weddings) I like seeing other people dance at weddings. I loved seeing President Obama and Mrs. Obama dance during the Inauguration festivities. But, if I'm honest, there will never be as good a dance as the old Junior High Slow Dance.

2 comments:

mel said...

Weren't those dances magical? I love this post!

Brandy said...

Ah..the wonderful dances of our childhood. They were the BEST! Too funny about your comment when the lights come on at the end of the night. It was almost like a slap in the face. We didn't ever want those dances to end.