Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cap and Gown Me Please




Here we are, the whole happy family in June of 1981. I had brown hair. ONE color. I will never have one color hair again. My brothers have black hair, no grey or white. Both my parents are alive. I just realized that in this pic, my folks are younger than I am today.




Fast forward to 2009. I'm two days away from Taylor's graduation. Jake graduated four years ago, so this is my baby's graduation. I haven't hit emotions yet, but when I pulled up this picture, I realize how young I was then, and how young Taylor is now, and all she's about to face.




Many of the new things will be exciting. Some will be scary, others heartbreaking. I'll always be there for her, but really, it is her journey she's now starting. The last 17 years have been my journey, now I'm just the back seat driver. (Larry)

She won't have the wisdom of grandparents to guide her, all but one of her grands has passed. I was very lucky to have them in my life for a long long time. My grandmother (on the right) is still with us, and her mere presence guides all of us. I hope that I've been able to pass on a bit of their SMARTS to her. Grandparents are the best.


What do we tell our kids as they face adulthood? What sage advice do we have to give? I'm going to have to think on this one for a bit. I just hope I can find the words to help her keep this smile on her face.

2 comments:

Lori said...

That's the little toddler Taylor I remember. Gosh, how grown up & beautiful she is !! The pictures of your parents & Rex & Mikki bring all the memories right back. Can you please pass me a pork chop bone to chomp on ! You had the real deal childhood !

mel said...

What a beautiful post! I am completely confident that you will find the right words to share with your daughter at this crossroads in her life. Congratulations to all!