Sunday, June 28, 2009

Michael Jackson, Times Two



These are two of my oldest dearest friends. (well, they're not OLD in age, we've just been friends for a long time!) I met them when we were all in our early twenties and we've remained friends through job changes, marriages, children, divorce, moves, remarriages, another divorce (both mine, by the way), deaths and life itself. They are a huge part of my past, my present, and my future. I feel that they've always been there for me, and have celebrated every important time of my life. Please meet my friends, Mike and Rose Jackson.



Normally, I wouldn't point out the importance of names, but with all the events of this week, it just seems appropriate.

Michael Jackson was also around for all the events in my lifetime. Granted, he didn't know he was involved in my life. I'm sure he didn't realize the impact he had on me. He wasn't even invited to any of my weddings, but he was always there, just like the other Jackson's, named above. We're close in age, and I always felt that we grew up together. "Ben" made me cry. I danced in my room to "Rock with You" and "Wanna Be Starting Something." I listened to and watched the "Thriller" video over and over and over. And, "Man in the Mirror" continues to be one of my most favorite songs ever; causing me goose bumps each and every time I hear it. I was greatly saddened to hear of his passing, and the only way I know to describe the feeling is that I feel like part of my childhood has died.



My friends and family watched a video retrospective last night, all MJ videos. Every single one of his songs is still quality, and still relevant. I doubt there will be another artist that crosses so many barriers and unites so many people of different backgrounds, races and ages. I feel very lucky that I was able to grow up with Michael Jackson's music and will miss him greatly.


3 comments:

mel said...

A beautiful tribute, Ju.

Jan, David, Rose and Grace said...

R.I.P., Michael Jackson.
The song "Ben" always makes me cry, too.

Brandy said...

Ah, Michael. I, too, felt like he was the soundtrack to my childhood. Okay, so I didn't really listen to the Jackson Five until much later, but "Off The Wall" was my all time fav & reminds me so much of the wonderful 3 years we lived in Hawaii. And after that, you know the rest. Every album after reminds me also of a certain time, place, & people. I cried the day after his death as I heard on the radio "We Are The World". That song was in one of mine & Tracy's dance recitals. And I'm with ya..."Man In the Mirror" still makes me a bit emotional. Sad, sad stuff.