Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Catch Up Following a Rainy Weekend in Auburn, Alabama

Happy Monday!

The husband and I went on a 33 hour road trip this weekend.  The best part about road trips?  GREAT Blog Fodder.

We traveled to Auburn, Alabama to watch the Missouri Tigers v. Auburn Tigers baseball. (Reminder--brother is the head coach at Missouri)   It was the first weekend of college baseball all around the country.  We decided to go over Saturday, so as not to have to miss work on Friday; this would allow us to see the Saturday game and part of the Sunday game before returning home.  It was a great plan until Mother Nature intervened.

We had just passed Crawfordville, Georgia (where I enjoyed my DQ Dip Cone!) when my brother texted me that the game was canceled for the day, they would play a doubleheader on Sunday.  Huh.  Well, that sucked.  But, what to do?  Our hotel room was paid for, and Taylor was already in Auburn. Plus, I wanted to see my brother. So, we forged on down I-20.

We stayed at a real live motel, you know, the kind with the doors on the outside.  Motels always remind me of my grandparents. They loved a motel.  They would always bring along their travel bar.  It looked something like this:

We didn't have a travel bar, but we do always travel with a cooler.

I digress.

While driving, we listened to "Unbroken."  It's a wonderful story of Louie Zamperini, and his experience as an Olympic Athlete, Air Force Bombardier, and POW in World War II. I highly recommend it!   Listening to audio books is probably one of my favorite parts of traveling.

We had a great dinner at an Italian restaurant called, "Ma Fia's."  Get it?  My brother was chatty, which happens about as often as Haley's Comet.  The food and company were excellent.

A Half Order of Mushroom Ravioli was too small for the Ju. I'm a full order kind of gal.

A baseball stadium is either the hottest or coldest place on the planet.  On this day, it was cold and wet.  The seats were wet and the wind was blowing, not what I call good baseball weather.  But, it was good to be watching the Tigers  (Missouri variety) with Taylor, Steven and HAD.

The best part?  The good Tigers won.  Both games of the Sunday doubleheader.  We were only able to stay for the first game, as we had that 6 and 1/2 hour drive back home.  But, it was worth it, rain and all.  These baseball games bring our family together, even if only for 33 hours at a time.

Thanks for driving Dear!


Lap Dog Knits said...

looks like a great weekend...
and the book - wonderful.
never been to your area of the country but it looks REALLY nice.

liked reading your blog, have a great week.

angie128 said...

I wish I had been there, too!
But I am scared of motels with outside doors.
And you know how I feel about mushrooms.
(And, yes, I had to read the restaurant name three times before I got it.)
I hope you got to talk Cute Baseball Coach Brother to change the locale of the Memphis game.

Colleen said...

So I was sitting here trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I kept trying to figure out the name of the restaraunt but it just doesn't work if you put the accent on Fia! Angie, I was sitting her by myself with the dog saying it out loud.

I have never been to a college game but I LOVE baseball, it's what brought the husband and I together after all. Looks like a wonderful weekend. Maybe we will get to a College of Charleston game this summer and see what it's like, otherwhise for us we see the Riverdogs to get our fill. Doesn't work as well as a Yankee or Mets game though for some reason.

sherri s. said...

33 hours? Wow! We have a thing on road trips: no matter what time we leave, no matter how far or close we are to the next stop, we NEVER get there before 5:00. 300 miles away or 30, somehow it's always 5 when we arrive. Just in time for a cocktail! The ball park does look chilly...

Darn those double words!

KB said...

Glad y'all had a safe trip. Living just over the bridge from the Univ. of SC campus, we're really looking foreward to baseball season. Three-peat?

Grandma K said...

The 33 hours would have done me in! But it sounds like you had a great time.