Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Island Junk

All week long, I've been thinking about hightailing it to a deserted island and hiding from the rest of the world. As I close my eyes and ponder the possibility, my mind always starts mentally packing. I try to think of fantasy items, because if I start thinking of all the things I'd really NEED, then it becomes a stressful fantasy. Hey, reality is stressful enough, that's why I'm trying to GET to this island.


Anyway, what would I bring? Well, let's throw out the most obvious, my loved ones, my dog, my cats. MOST of the time, I'd want them with me. On to some of the things that would make that island really super fantastic:


Number one on my list would be some cream cheese! I love this food, and consider it to be the food of the Gods! Add a little garlic to it, stir, refrigerate, and serve with chips. Oh, I better put some potato chips on my list. (Munchos?) Yummmmmmm.


I'd have to take a pillow. As those of you that know me know...I love me some sleep. I'm sure I could make a nice comfy palette, but I would like to have a bit of home with me in the shape of a pillow.



I'd have to take my ipod. I imagine that everyone would have this on their list. I guess the thing that will differentiate it from others is the music I'd have on said pod. Where to begin? Jonny Lang, Dave, Earth Wind and Fire, Linda Ronstadt, 70s classics, Robbie Williams, classical music, show tunes, Jose Gonzalez, etc etc. I'm sure I'd get sick of all these songs if I were on the island for an extended period of time, but I would sure enjoy the process.






I'm presuming my island won't have electricity. So, for entertainment, I'd bring the Harry Potter series and re-read it from start to finish. I would so enjoy going on this adventure again. I would cry when Harry realizes that Sirius sent him the new broom AND signed the permission slip to go to Hogsmeade. Gulp! I'd also have to take my crossword puzzles, loads of mechanical pencils and some good gossip magazines.

Finally, my FANTASY ISLAND wouldn't be complete without a nice comfy pair of pajama pants. Every day when I get home, the first thing I do is strip off the days workclothes and put on some pj pants. I consider this my own little island getaway, right there in the middle of Goose Creek.

What would you take with you?

3 comments:

angie128 said...

Of course I would want my family and my doggie. And I'm assuming laptop and cell phone are off limits on this excursion.

So my other necessities would have to be my peppermint chapstick and lots of coffee. I'm also with you on packing the crossword puzzles (but I have to do mine in pen because I'm just weird that way). And I would probably bring my Sonicare toothbrush.

And since our forecast for today is 33 degrees and rain all day long, I'm ready to head to the islands right now!

JuJu said...

Oh, the toothbrush is an excellent idea!
Hang in there with that nasty weather. At least that's good "tournament-watching" weather?
GO TIGERS!

Brandy WK said...

Hmmm...good question. I, like you, would love to bring my family with me as well as a few friends. But at the same time, some peace & quiet would be nice, too. ;-) So, let's just say that I had to go it alone. On that note, I'd have to BORROW Ray's MP3 because I don't even own one. Sad, eh? It'd have to be a nice mix of jams. Some Rick (of course), Damien Rice, Ray Lamontagne, Joshua Radin, Schuylar Fisk, JT (for when I feel like dancing in the sun), Jimmy Buffett (cause hey, when would be a better time to listen to Jimmy than while stranded on an island?), throw in some 80's hair bands, along with some other oldies & I'd be set. Definitely have to agree with the other poster as a toothbrush is a MUST along with the chapstick. Lots of books (espeically memoirs as I'm really digging them as of late) & some People magazines. I'm down the crossword puzzles. Unfortunately, I have to do the "Easy" ones. How's about an umbrella for shelter from both rain & sun when I want it. And you know me...must have a camera to document the whole thing. I'd live in PJ bottoms and a big comfy t-shirt. And I'm with ya...cheese, glorious cheese. I don't care which kind (aged Gouda would be ideal), but I'll settle for any of it. One more thing...how's about some TP? And lots of bottled water. Okay, I think I'm done. :-)