Monday, May 25, 2009

From Cezanne to Say WHAT?

I spent my weekend with some reaaalllll interesting folks. It all started off so gently and civil. We went to Columbia to view the art exhibit, "From Turner to Cezanne." We had a lovely evening with Larry, Mary and Baby Griffin and we felt very cultured as we compared the paintings. We saw this pretty lady:
Here comes the 180 degree turn. The following day, we met this fella:


(I bet Renoir never imagined this gentleman and his Lady in Blue would be mentioned in the same breath)
ANYWAY...We were invited to a fish fry with our friends Kristen and Grace. It was held at a rural sight outside Charleston. The hosts were very nice people and I truly appreciate their hospitality. The catfish was delicious.
HOWEVER, there were a few occurrences that left my mouth agape.
Upon our arrival, we were informed that a FIVE YEAR OLD BOY had killed a wild boar and it was going to be thrown on the grill. Now, I've been to plenty of pig pickings, but never got to hear the details of how the pig got there. (yes, I'm a city girl) As we walked into the party, we followed two men carrying the "boar" in a garbage bag. That's when I saw the trail of blood coming out of the bag. (Please picture my face as I saw this.) I also heard how the boar was trapped, shot in the eye and then when he still didn't die, he had to be stabbed. FROM THE FIVE YEAR OLD BOY. Here's his conquest:
I just don't "get" hunting. I probably never will. I'm not against it, I just don't get it.

So, I'm making conversation with folks and trying to appreciate and understand hunting, hunting dogs, etc. That's when I run into my new friend, "Shot." (Buckshot) Now, Shot is truly a good old Southern Boy. I couldn't understand most of what he said. (Steven likened him to Boomhower from "King of the Hill.") He had many interesting stories, and enjoyed sharing them. I was fine until he played a song on his cellphone with references to the Klan, sheets and burning crosses. I'm sure my face bore the same expression as when I watched the boar being brought into the party. Here's his picture with Steven. He didn't want to put his arm around Steven, so thus the pose:

People that know me understand that I am a bleeding heart liberal. So, for me to be faced with such blatant racism and bigotry was very disturbing. When I sat down to write this Blog, it wasn't my intent to criticize him, but more so to share a really awkward uncomfortable situation. Anyplace else, and I would have probably spoken up and against his ignorance. I don't think this was a place where I could have done that. I continued to speak to him, and basically walked away from it all feeling very sad. He's had a difficult life, and has done good by his family to the best of his ability. In another place or time, I would like to think I would have stood up for my beliefs. By not doing so, I feel like I wasn't true to myself; I let myself down by not speaking up. But the really sad part is that I don't think it would have made any difference.

So, while I'm smiling on the outside in this picture, there was turmoil on the inside. Luckily, the other two folks in this picture are the type of people I can "speak up" to and with. But, that's probably because they agree with me, and it's safe and easy.

3 comments:

angie128 said...

I'm speechless. It all started with the boar...

What a most interesting weekend you had.

I can't top it.

sherri s. said...

Yes, wow...hard to deal with those situations, I know (from personal experience, sadly). And I can't top that story either except to say that at a family reunion, my husband (whose parents are European and he was raised a REAL city boy) got to hear from one of my cousins how to, um, castrate a hog. (Substitute another vulgar word for "castrate" and, well, you know! My hubby was truly speechless at that! How DO you respond to that, anyway? Funny!

mel said...

Oh, my. Hard to know where to begin - - with the adult who seemed to assume you would just naturally agree with his biases or with a 5 year old engaged in killing. Oh my, oh my...god bless us one and all.