Friday, July 10, 2009

No Exit


See this sucker? He and I are going to be the end of each other one day.

This little guy sits right outside my office. He came with the building. I think the building was built in the 1950's.

Yes, I know this little cherub is required by law and is intended for safety and to save my life in case of fire. But, honestly? I think he may be aging me quicker than normal.

I'm sure you're wondering just how a simple EXIT sign can drive a woman crazy. Well, this is not your everyday, normal, run of the mill sign. This thing is alive.

It talks to me. When I come up the stairs in the morning, it's talking. It sounds like there's a bad connection and it's about to blow. It hums at me, but not musically. There are times it seems like it's yelling at me. At times, I would swear he is laughing at me with his loud raucous off kilter buzz. He has a personality; sometimes I swear he knows when I've just sat down and starts yakking. And, since it is connected to the ceiling, and I am only 5'3", this presents a conundrum. Luckily, I have a softball bat in the corner of my office. I am forced to press the black reset button AT LEAST five times a day. If anyone walks by my office and EXIT is talking, they are trained to shut him up. (again, via the bat)

I'm starting to think he's real. He actually was respectful as we watched the Michael Jackson memorial.

But don't worry, he's back to his normal tricks now. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

PS: Rest in Peace Gary Wombwell. We will miss you dearly.

1 comment:

sherri s. said...

How annoying! My husband's car is haunted...you can hear vague whispers when you're in it, sometimes. He thinks it's a radio transmission coming in through the antenna incorporated into the windshield, but I'm not so sure!

Try a Pimm's cup! It tastes--at least as made by my friend--like a cross between a mojito, a mint julep, and ginger ale! Yum!! Not too boozy tasting, but it did have a little kick.