Sunday, October 25, 2009

Windy Wedding Report, or How I Apologized Mid Song


I am very lucky.  I have some crazy friends that entrusted me with their very special wedding day.  You see, here in the great state of South Carolina, a Notary Public can perform a wedding ceremony.  And, since I'm one of these noble folks, I am "official."  Prior to yesterday, I had officiated at one wedding ceremony.   I enjoyed it, and truly felt honored to be asked to be a part of their day.  (credit to Johnny for this gorgeous pic!)

Oh, let's add another element to the mix.  I also sing, and have done more weddings and funerals than I can honestly remember.  I always enjoy this, especially when the chosen song is something fun to sing.  (Note: I am really OVER the Paul Stookey wedding song.  Blech.  Never again is too soon for me.)  Anyway...I was asked to sing a lovely song written by Ben Folds, "The Luckiest." Love the song. 

One more note of interest?  Steven was the official photographer.  You can see his camera peeking through behind the matron of honor.  And you can see my head checking out this kiss.

So, for the past month, I've really focused on finding the right opening remarks, closing remarks, pre-kiss remarks, prounoucement words, etc.  Luckily, this thing called the internet is a huge help for a Notary Public like myself.  In addition, the bride and groom wrote their own vows, so I didn't have to worry about those! 


I practiced with the piano boy (I call him piano boy, as he is a spry 18 years old, a freshman at the local college, and can run rings around me, musically!!)  I practiced at home, I practiced with headphones on, I practiced in the car.  And, when I wasn't practicing, that darn song was running through my head. 

I was ready and prepared. I had my backpack with my wedding binder, handkerchiefs for crying bride and groom, towel for sweaty Judi, spray hair wax  (a wedding necessity), chapstick, camera and phone. 

BUT THEN REALITY HIT.

A few days ago, Mother Nature decided to give me a nice juicy head cold.  So, singing was going to be a great challenge.  Excuse me, singing would be no problem, singing WELL was going to be a problem.  So, I stressed about that all week.  (Reminder to self, you are NOT in control)  Yesterday morning, I woke up and it was a WINDY wonderland.  The wedding was held on the river, so it was even windier.  Luckily, I brought paper clips, so I was able to clip my words and song in my trusty notebook.  Oh, silly me.  This wind was mightier than the paper clip.  It blew my papers, it blew my hair (note in pix!), it blew over the PA speaker.  It blew the brides veil off her darn head!  (Kudos to her, she recovered nicely!) 


And, as I was singing my overly practiced gorgeous song, it happened...There was a HUGE amount of  PA feedback during one of my gorgeous notes, and I said, "SORRY" and kept on singing.  WHY in the world didn't I just keep singing?  What posessed me to apologize for the feedback on a windy day?  Good gravy, I said SORRY during the most important day of Brad and Chrissa's life. 

Frank Sinatra never would have done that.

At least no one I knew was there. LIE!  All my dearest friends were in attendance.

At least my dress didn't blow up over my head.  Well, I don't think it did.  I haven't seen all the pictures yet.

CONGRATS TO BRAD AND CHRISSA!  So sorry for the SORRY.













4 comments:

mel said...

I burst out laughing at the image of your dress blowing above your head in the middle of the wedding - lawd, wouldn't THAT have been something!! So, you said Sorry re the feedback - no biggie. Everyone looks very, very happy and it looks like it was a magnificent wedding, due in part to the fabulous JuJu! If I ever remarry, I will come to NC and you can marry me, and somebody yet to be determined.

Dusti said...

You did fabulous job at the Wedding!!

Anonymous said...

Judi,
You were great on Saturday.
-Johnny

Sherri said...

It looks like a very good time was had by all, and that's what is MOST important at a wedding, yes?