Thursday, February 26, 2009

Old Gems, New Adventures and a Shout Out!








Steven and I went to lunch today in Old North Charleston. We love this area. One of our favorite bars, Madra Rua is here, as are neat houses and businesses. The girls at work have told me about the "Idle Hour Restaurant" for a long time. It's been around forever, and everyone sings the praises of their burgers. I was always a huge fan of the Woolworth's Lunch Counter, so I can appreciate a good ol' lunch spot. All I can say is that we were not disappointed in the least. It's a small little place with a counter and maybe five booths? The menu hangs on the wall. Each day, there's a new special with a choice of sides. (Today's special: Country Fried Steak) I had a cheeseburger (all the way) and Steven had a hot dog with cheese only. Our food was served on old time (and I'm sure, original) cafeteria-type plates.

The women who worked there were not Flo, Alice or that other gal. (What is her name???) Well, I guess they might have looked like them back when Mel's Diner was on tv....There were old pictures on the wall (again, I'm sure they were originals) and the old time ketchup squirter on the table. Steven's soda was served in the can and my tea never went empty. The gossip in that place was awesome. We were only there for 30 minutes, but I got to hear about someones sixth marriage, the new BBQ joint on Hwy 17 (Oink! is the name) and that the Golden Corral serves breakfast on the weekends. All in all, it was a fun experience, and we will definitely return. The food was delicious and you just can't beat that environment!
Last night, T and J decided to make a lemon meringue pie. I had every intention of hiding while this was happening, but that didn't happen. As they zested the lemon and mixed the pie mix, somehow I got stuck doing the meringue. I've NEVER made a meringue in my life. I dumped the sugar into the egg whites, as T pinched in the cream of tartar. It was then that I read the instructions that said to add the sugar, "slowly." Ugh. I just pretended all was fine and whipped that stuff until it couldn't do anything but be stiff! Their pie turned out gorgeous. I haven't tasted it yet, but I'm happy for them and for myself! My grandmother would be proud!
And finally....I received my very first comment from someone, other than my friends and family. I must give a shout out to one of my favorite bloggers. She loves her Memphis Tigers and I enjoy reading her posts! Granted, I commented her first, but she was nice enough to return the favor. Check her out!! http://meandmygoodlife.blogspot.com/
I have to go figure out how to work Twitter. I need something new to confuse me. :-)

1 comment:

angie128 said...

Awww thanks JuJu for the shout out and the bloggy love!

I've enjoyed reading through your blog too!

Oh - and GO TIGERS GO!!

Angie