Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Stuck in the Pokey


When people think of jail cells, or prison, they probably have something like this come to mind.



When I think of walls closing in on me, often times I picture my work environment. I've been staring at the same beige colored wall for thirteen years now. Day in, day out, same old beige. I do have a little bit of window up high; it serves to tease me with the changing weather, seasons and an occasional squirrel scrambling past. You will see the Satellite Radio in here, it's my link to the outside world.
Weeks like this one, and these walls do feel like a jail cell. I find myself sighing a lot and questioning if I'm doing the right things with my life.
I admit, I've been feeling pretty down in the dumps this week. (Heck, I didn't even post a "Post Super Bowl" blog, I must have been down!!) But, I think I'm starting to come out of it. I've had a little bit of a prison break this week. Steven brought me some very sunny flowers, and they immediately brightened my mood. (he also brought me a bag of Munchos. LOVE that man.)
Today, it was freezing cold. But, I needed to get away from the beige wall , the drama of the office, and the plethora of cobwebs. Steven asked if I wanted to go out for lunch. The only place I wanted to go was to one of my favorite spots, the Duck Pond. The ducks were everywhere today, coooold and HUNGRY. (btw, ducks love Kix Cereal) They were honking at us and begging for any food we could offer. They were appreciative of everything we gave them and when we were finished, they just waddled away content. Spending the time away from the beige wall and seeing these fellas made the prison sentence a bit more tolerable.
And heck, if I start feeling those walls close in, I'll just think of this fella looking at me.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Glad you enjoyed your time out in the exercise yard! You should get the warden to let you paint your walls.

P.S. I like your blog

Anonymous said...

The ducks expression is priceless!
-J