Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Thing of the Past?

I've had the same checkbook cover for about five years now. Steven bought me a fun Robbie Williams checkbook cover for my birthday, years ago, and I have worn that thing into the ground. It has traveled with me to nail appointments, hair appointments. It sat with me while I've struggled to pay bills, and took joy at sending birthday, graduation, wedding and Christmas presents via the glorious check. Robbie has served me well. But, lately, he's starting to look a little worse for wear.

  • I decided it must be time to retire Robbie and replace him with another cover. I have discovered recently that the "standard" checkbook cover is very quickly becoming a thing of the past. Remember the days when the banks would give you the cheap covers for free? They were either this horrible brown I'm showing, or another horrid blue or green color. (I think of them as accountant colors---boring!!) And, when you ordered new checks, they would always send a cover. Well, let me tell you, no more.


So, off I went in search of a checkbook cover that would reflect my fun loving (!) personality. Really, all I wanted was a vinyl cover with something sassy on it. Well, that's almost impossible to find. (sassy + google = trouble) You can find plenty of cloth covers. There are plenty of homemade covers on Etsy, complete with the hand sewn label. There are stripes, polka dots, animals, leaves, initials, flowers, cartoon characters, and all varieties of sports teams. But, there are very few exciting, yet classic, vinyl covers.


How does one choose from all these choices? And, why spend all this time on something that doesn't even get used that often anymore? I mean, if this was an ATM/debit card cover, then I could understand the time spent, and consider it a wise investment. But, who writes a check anymore? Honestly!


Speaking of "honestly," check out this cover! That would intimidate the heck outta the folks at the checkout, eh?

2 comments:

Pete said...

Too bad CapitolOne doesn't have a check book cover lab...

Anonymous said...

I think you should get the religious themed one.
-J