Saturday, April 4, 2009

25 More


Here's some real random things about yours truly:





1. I love almonds and pistachios, but really hate pecans, cashews, peanuts and walnuts. The texture makes me gag.


2 I have a big scar on the inside of my left ankle. When I was six years old, I was riding double on a bike and I got my foot caught in the bicycle spoke. The rubber of the tire burned out the area in my ankle. I missed three weeks of 1st grade, and to this day, I still favor that ankle!


3. I went to the Masters in 1996. (as a fan, not a golfer...) I was there on Sunday, the day of Greg Norman's historical collapse.

4. I sang the National Anthem at an NFL game in 1997. It was Arizona Cardinals v. Cincinnati Bengals. There were 55,000 people there and I sang it live. (I nailed it!) In a fluke of circumstance, my dad was coaching with Arizona at the time, so he was there when I sang. He had nothing to do with me getting to sing, and was suprised to see me there.

5. I can't click my heels.


6. My favorite job ever was as a bank teller in Wilmington, NC. I only made $5.00/hour, but that was the best. I'd balance my drawer at the end of the day, head home and didn't think about work until the next morning.


7. My dad always had company cars, so we'd have a new car every six months or so. As I grew up, we had a Vega, a Pinto Wagon, Thunderbirds, Capris, LTD's and Ford Pickups. When I could finally drive, I was driving the Ford Pinto Wagon with red vinyl interior. CLASSY.


8. I played the flute and piccolo all through school. I was in the marching band and the pep band. I was in all the choirs, the musicals, and these were the best experiences of high school.


9. My first boyfriend was Mike Roberts in the 6th grade. He wrote me love notes and quoted Olivia Newton John songs. (he had real loopy pretty handwriting)



10. When an ambulance passes by, I try to remember to pray for the victim inside. One time Steven pointed out to me that the ambulance was "on the way" to the scene. So, I prayed for the driver. Hope that helped.



11. I once wrote a fan letter to Danny White, then QB of the Dallas Cowboys. He wrote me back. It was in his own handwriting.




12. I was in the David Cassidy (Partridge Family) fan club. I had stickers all over my wall. I owned all his albums. Things haven't changed much in my life. Almost forty years later, I'm in the Dave Matthews Band fan club, and I have stickers all over. (extra tidbit: I got to meet DAVE a few years back before a concert. SWOON!)






13. On the day that both my parents died, I felt that they both contacted me. (my mom through wind chimes, and I swear I saw my dad driving a truck) To this day, when I see a red Cardinal bird, it's comforting to me; like they're trying to speak to me.





14. I used to spend every Friday night at my grandparent's house. When I dream at night, their house is the one in my dreams.




15. I love Hellman's mayonnaise, but won't touch Miracle Whip.




16. When I was a kid, every day for lunch, I took a bologna sandwich (with Mayo, see above), a bag of chips, and a Suzy Q. I don't think I had anything to drink because I hate milk. The only day I ate the school's food was chili/peanut butter sandwich day.







17. I've had four major bike accidents, and in two of those, I was hit by a car.




18. I read the first Harry Potter book to my daughter while she would bathe. Steven and I listened to the remainder of them in the car. BEST EXPERIENCE.



19. If I can't fall asleep, I count backwards from 300 by 3's.



20. My fingers are really double jointed, freakishly so. And, both my kids have the same freakish joints.


21. I still crave attention and approval from my brothers.




22. I watch Beverly Hills 90210 every day.




23. I've fallen in love with the English Premier Soccer League, the fans, the players and the beauty of the game.




24. I have very little body hair.


25. And, if you're still awake...I still love Barry Manilow songs.

4 comments:

Mary said...

this was a great read! i love to learn still new things about friends. so hit by cars, twice?!?

Anonymous said...

I have a scar on my forehead where from when a little boy named Peter Gates (who came from the roughest family in the hood) threw a brick at me!
Just thought I'd share! Great read Judi!
-J

JuJu said...

Isn't it funny how we remember people's first and last names from our youth? That Peter Gates sounds like a hooligan; probably a Liverpool fan!

sherri s. said...

JuJu, I love this! It's scary how many things we have in common: flute and piccolo--check (I gave them up to be a flag girl!); I say a little prayer when ambulances go by (and when I pass roadkill!); bologna sandwiches, Fritos, and Little Debbie cupcakes for lunch in my lunchbox!; my fingers are double-jointed too; also, I watch ANTM every Wed. AND I watch "Make Me a Supermodel on the same night! (and I love Intervention--I bawl EVERY time). Wow! And thanks for commenting on my blog; it means a lot!