Monday, April 27, 2009

Burnin' Down the House, or How Dave made my Day






We saw the Dave Matthews Band at the Verizon Amphitheatre in Charlotte on Friday. I sure do love Dave. I think this is about the 20th time we've seen him. We've traveled to different cities, and we've seen him with many different friends. And, no matter where we go, or who we go with, it's always FANTASTIC.



Charlotte 09 was no different. It was a gorgeous day filled with sunshine and very warm temperatures. We arrived plenty early to tailgate and enjoyed ice cold beer, sandwiches and snacks. We watched all the YOUNG kids play cornhole, Frisbee and football. (We watched from the shade of a tree, wisdom comes with age!) We watched people scamming for tickets. We saw a gorgeous dog. (his name was Jake, and he was a Presa Canario. Heard of it? We hadn't either) The tailgate was the perfect prelude to the concert.



We saw Dave introduce the opening act. (The Avett Brothers) He always does this, and I think that's real classy. Granted, I can never understand a word he says, but I still think it's very gracious. Plus, we get to see him live, with a very small audience and that feels like our own little secret.
The concert was wonderful. He plays forever, and the entire band gives 100%. Everyone is so musical and truly seems to be enjoying themselves. I won't bore you with exact details, but if you ever get a chance to see the band, go! From the lighting to the staging, to the music to the dancing, it's just super. This year, he covered Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House." What an unexpected treat!

I think one of my favorite things about the shows is the camaraderie I feel with other concert-goers. For a few hours out of one random evening, all these people are focused on one thing: enjoying music, dancing and just being happy. We all need more of those nights, eh?

2 comments:

Dusti said...

Too right! Glad you had a good time!

angie128 said...

Sounds like a great show! I like him too, but have never seen him. Glad you had fun - I know you were excited about going.