Sunday, April 12, 2009

Precious

In 1987, I had my first baby, and I moved across the country. I lived in my in law's house while we found a place we could afford. We were living in Northern Virginia, which was one of the most expensive places in the country. We eventually found a home in Winchester, Virginia, that we could afford.

We bought the house. My job, a part time job, was at a bank about 60 miles from the house. The job was far, but my babysitter (grandma) was only blocks away from the bank. Ideal! And, even though this meant a long commute, I was happy to do it, knowing my baby was in loving caring hands. I would leave my affordable home in Winchester, pack up my baby in either the 1980 Honda Prelude or the 1985 Ford Mustang, and drive to Grandma's.

That drive became precious time for me and my baby. It was the one time we were alone, just the two of us. We would listen to music, enjoy the sounds of the road, and the solace of being together. I would drop him off, go work, go back to pick him up (and usually, Grandma would have dinner for me, thank you Grandma) and we would head back to our home. I filled these drives with music. Granted, this was a time when music was changing. I spent a lot of time listening to George Michael's Faith. I listened to Taylor Dayne and Randy Travis. (how different are THOSE artists?) But there is one song that encompasses those drives, that time of my life, and my feelings now.

I hadn't heard this song since 1988, and then last week, I stumbled across it on YouTube. I cried while it played, because it took me back, as clearly as if it were the actual time. I could hear this song and see my precious baby sleep on that drive home. The lyrics are still so poignant and moving. "If you're still within the sound of my voice....you were always my only choice." I hope my baby will always know how important he has always been.

It's amazing how music can bring back and re-create these feelings we thought we had long forgotten or put aside. I'm glad I found this one again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIirdWNrVpg

1 comment:

Mary said...

this made me get a bit teary-eyed. so sweet,and what a pretty song (his hair is a bit rough, but his voice very soothing!).

xo