Thursday, October 20, 2011

Retro Memories

As a young girl, I was very lucky to spend a lot of time with both sets of grandparents.  And, I was very lucky that they lived well into their 80's, and two of them into their 90's.  (Grandma Miki is still with us at the ripe young age of 95!)


My dad's parents used to keep me every Friday night.  My dad was coaching high school football at the time, and the last thing my mom wanted to do was drag me down to a high school game in the late 60's when racial tensions were running high.  So, I would stay with Grandma and Grandpa J and everyone was happy.  Well, I think? they were happy???

My grandma had this really cool yellow formica table in her kitchen.  If I close my eyes right now, I can see the exact set up.  I look to the right and I see her stove, the sink, and the cabinet where she kept the paper and crayons for me.  I keep going and see the cabinets with all sorts of dishes.  I turn to the left and see the refrigerator.  She always had real butter in that "ice box."  And, when I look straight ahead, I see that yellow table with four chairs.  I ate a lot of grapefruit (with sugar) and grape nuts at that table.  (Bigger meals were served at the dining room table)

A few weeks back, a friend of mine, who buys and sells antiques, was telling me about a table she had acquired years ago.  As she described, it I thought it sounded an awful lot like Grandma's table.  I went to see it and had to have it.  Luckily, she was willing to part with it.  She even threw in some green glasses that Grandma ALSO had.  I felt like I had stepped back in time by forty years!




So, now I've taken down my nice wooden dining room table and inserted Grandma's table. I love looking at it and thinking of Grandma J.  I love the way it looks in my house, a house so very far from Peoria, Illinois.  The table seems smaller these days and our rear ends are a bit too big for the cushions, but to me, it's just right.  I'm pretty sure the food is tasting better too. 



Here's to you Grandma J!

5 comments:

SPT said...

oh my god, ju. i LOVE this.

angie128 said...

Well, that's just the neatest thing ever.

mel said...

THAT is a beautiful table. I love it!

Colleen said...

My Nana has a red rectangular table much like this one. It had the neatest drawer on the side for the flatware and red chairs. Thanks for the trip down a road filled with wonderful memories!

sherri s. said...

LOVE! If we didn't have a built-in bench and table in our breakfast nook, I would SO have one of these darling sets. And how nice to think of your Grandma every time you sit there!

word: forsin

I'm not forsin you to eat your brussels sprouts, young lady--but you should, they're super delicious!