Friday, December 21, 2012

Reminder

Like all of you, I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off for a few weeks now.

Making lists.  Thinking, shopping, wrapping.  Going to parties.  Drinking too much wine.  (if there IS such a thing)  Exchanging gifts.  Worrying about forgetting someone.  Sending Christmas cards.  Busy.  Busy.  Busy.

It all came to a screeching halt last night at the Harris Teeter.

After my nail appointment, Laura and I went to Harris Teeter for wine and cheese.  As I was checking out, I looked a few rows over and saw a familiar face.  It was the face of a woman who lost her son in an auto accident eighteen months ago. 

Her child was in Taylor's grade;  the two of them had literally grown up together.  I wrote about them in this post. 

All I could do was hug this woman.  We talked for about twenty minutes, and while she's so very sad, she is starting to heal.  She feels grateful that she had her son for eighteen years, especially in light of the Newtown shootings last week and the tragedy of parents losing their children so young. 

She talks to her son on Facebook.  It helps her feel closer to him.

All of a sudden, I just don't feel like I'm going to hurry through this season anymore.  I'm going to enjoy my family and friends and not worry about any of the crap.  I'm going to be thankful for those dearest gifts that have been given to me.

And, I'm going to offer up a little prayer for Jason's mom and his family. 

4 comments:

mel said...

Well that puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Poor woman...may God bless her.

sherri s. said...

Yes, indeed...it's important to remember what truly matters, isn't it?

Colleen said...

I think that is a reminder we all need!

Grandma K said...

What a good reminder for us all at this time. We don't appreciate our families enough - especially our kids.