Friday, February 5, 2010

On the Way to Work

Most days, I take the same route to work.  I drive past the same restaurant, houses and businesses.  I see the same thing five days a week.  Routine.  Boring.

A couple years ago, I drove by a house and a man would be sitting in his wheelchair on his porch.  I nicknamed him Wheelie.  (original, I know)  I would look at him every day, Monday through Friday.  Finally, one day, I got it in my head to wave to him.  The first time, I got nothing.  The next day, I waved, and he waved back.  I was thrilled!  This was a bit of change up to my routine.  For about a week, I would wave at Wheelie, and he would return my wave.  A new routine had begun.

Steven and I drive together to work, and he got the idea to honk at Wheelie.  He meant the honk in a friendly way, but I"m not sure Wheelie took it that way.  He didn't wave at me after the honk.  And, he no longer sits on his front step.  I don't know if he moved, has died, or is just avoiding me, but I miss him.


We drive by many things on our way to work, one of which is the duck pond.  This morning, we spiced up our routine by stopping at the duck pond and giving some of our lovely stale bread products to the ducks.  It was only a five minute detour, but oh, it felt so good.  The ducks were honking, and loving the bread.  The only snafu was the obnoxious seagulls who tried to snag some of the bread.

And, when we left the duck pond we drove by the elementary school near our office.  Every morning, the principal waits for the buses.  I see him every morning.  He patiently awaits the kids, and hustles them off to their classes.  Well, yesterday, I started waving to him.  Right now, he's still in that "surprise" wave mode.  I think he's surprised that someone is waving to him.  I'm not sure he has recognized me or my car yet, but it makes me feel good, nonetheless.  I'm hoping he'll start knowing my car, and will become my morning friend.  I'm just hoping for the happy wave.  It's just a wee little change to my morning routine (and his?) but it makes me feel happy and smiley.

And, that's a nice addition to any kind of routine!

5 comments:

mel said...

You are one of God's most wonderful people, Ju. Truly you are.

Mary said...

I agree with Mel, Ju. I love that you stopped in the morning, when things are usually so full of the hurry, hustle-bustle that never permits time for a breathe for me, and fed ducks! I hope that I can do things like this for Griffin and help him learn to find the lovely things in the world (despite having seen them every day for years) and enjoy them.

Thanks for sharing.
xoxo

Unknown said...

How fun are you! I love playing little games with myself. Waving is one of them. I did it with this woman who moved on my street. At first she would not even look at me. It took a while but she finally gave in. It was just fun.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Happy Super Bowl to you.

Cath said...

I know Wheelie misses waving to you too.

SPT said...

Your whole presence is an act of kindness. I love that.