Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a Glorious Day!



This day felt special from the get-go. I went on Facebook early this morning, and already, people were excited for the inauguration of Barack Obama. As the morning wore on, the excitement grew palpable. At work, we were all trying to follow it on line. Of course, the coverage kept cutting out, so many of us trekked to our lunch room to watch the swearing in ceremonies and Obama's speech. I've worked at my job for twelve years, and many of us have been together for historical events. We all sat in that room on 9/11 and watched the Twin Towers come down. We watched as the hearts of America broke together.




Today, we all watched together, as the nation celebrated a joyous turn in our country's history. Watching our new President take the oath of office, and speak to the nation, truly inspired me. I was moved to tears and feelings of such pride and happiness. I believe what he says and I believe that he has the country in his corner. I feel that this man can lead us to greatness.
I watched, overjoyed, as the crowd was filled with people from all backgrounds; black, white, green, yellow, purple, came together to BE together as one on this special day. It gives me hope that one day prejudice and bigotry will be replaced with compassion and understanding.
I was moved as I watched the two young Obama daughters watch their father. It is going to be such a joy to see them in the White House. I think they represent what I see in this President, youth, class, and a little bit of mischief.

I have heard so many people speak of JFK with awe and admiration. I understand that feeling today. I feel so blessed to have seen Barack Obama elected and inaugurated as our 44th President. I am so proud to have voted for him. I am proud to live in a country that he leads. For the first time in a long time, I am proud to be an American.




3 comments:

unclebro said...

that's a good post dear.
XXX

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!
-Johnny

Mary said...

Here, here my friend! You said it better than I ever could! I am proud along with you!