Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Miki Mimi Milcha


Check me out. This is me and my grandmother in her backyard in Park Ridge, Illinois, circa 1964? I am rocking some red shoes, even then!


My grandmother is truly the best person I know. She turned 93 this past July, and honestly, doesn't look a day over 80. (if that!) She still lives in her own apartment at the Catholic Retirement Home in St. Louis. She gets her hair "done" every Thursday, just as she has all her life. Her apartment is on the same floor as the chapel, and I guarantee she goes to mass regularly.


But, this isn't what makes her the special lady that she is.


Her father, mother and siblings (five?) immigrated from Poland. They came through Ellis Island, and then settled in the Chicago area. She was born after they moved here, and being the great American that she is, she was born on the 4th of July! We would celebrate her birthday every year with chicken and fireworks!



She met my grandfather as she hopped a bus one day. He was the driver, and he would tell the story of how she would hike her skirt up above her knee when she climbed the bus steps, and he caught sight of those gams. Oh Grandpa! They were married for over sixty years when he passed away in 1998.

Grandma had a stroke in 1994. She has aphasia now, and has difficulty speaking when in large groups. And, as she has aged, she doesn't read anymore. Yet, she hasn't missed a birthday or holiday card for any in our family. (Including grandkids and great grandkids!) She may sign her name, or Grandma, but she lets us know we are on her mind. (with a bit of help from my brother, Jeff. Thanks Jeff!)

She is the only one remaining. By this, I mean, all her sisters and brothers have died. She lost her husband. Her only child, my mother, died in 1995, and her only son in law in 2001. She has survived all this heartache. I don't think I've ever heard her complain.


She never goes out without being fully "made up." She was an excellent bridge player, and still will play for nickels. She cleaned constantly, made killer fudge, and the BEST CHEX PARTY MIX in the world. She loved to travel, entertain, and spend time with her family. She quilted, sewed, kept an immaculate home and a beautiful garden. She loved Seinfeld and Days of Our Lives. If we traveled to Atlanta to visit her, she would wait up until we arrived (no matter what the time) and would wave goodbye until our car was out of sight.


And, as special as all of this is, this is not why I consider her my angel on earth.



Grandma has loved me unconditionally for (almost) 46 years. All she has ever wanted for me is my happiness. She accepts me the way I am, and the many ways I've been over the years. (HERE'S WHY SHE'S SO DARN SPECIAL---) And, she is this way this with everyone. She is love incarnate.

Thank you Grandma. For everything. I love you.


Amelia Marie "Miki" "Mimi" "Milcha" Cottingham and Taylor


2008



7 comments:

angie128 said...

Very nice.

Jan, David, Rose and Grace said...

Beautiful, Judi.

mel said...

How blessed you are to have such a beautiful person in your life! I hope someone will read this blog to her.

mel said...

Is that your mom on the right in the pic of you and your brothers in pj's? Taylor looks like her.

JuJu said...

Mel, that is indeed my mother. :-)

And, I'll have you know, I asked my brother to please print this out to read to Grandma.

Great minds think alike!

mel said...

Wonderful!!

sherri s. said...

Aww, so very sweet! I loved my grandmas so very much (both of them died five years ago). My grandma Betty, in particular, in part because I'm so much like her. Nothing quite like a grandma!