Saturday, December 19, 2009

More Vintage Oddities


Well, at least now I know why my Christmas presents always had something wrong with them.... 

Santa, were you drinking a little too much egg nog before you started your deliveries?  Or, did you take a giant misstep and just spill down the side of the mountain in Tommy Brown's sled?  Either way, I'm not impressed with your lack of planning.

Oh, how I love these vintage cards.  Please indulge me (again!!), as we review some from the Christmas section.



Again with the sled!  Is it just me, or do the kids in front all look drugged/constipated or a combination of the two?  And, why in the world would little boy blue be blowing his horn?  Do you think that when they got to the bottom of the hill that the three drugged ones beat the crap out of the horn blower?



I'm not sure I like thinking of Santa with binoculars.  Santa is a perv??



Well, first of all, the birds in my 'hood don't wear clothes; nice or tatty.  And, if I ever see a bird with an eyepatch, I will probably have nightmares for quite awhile.  Little rich bird looks like a bit of a snob.  He probably only eats "imported" bird seed.





Here we have a German Christmas card.  I certainly hope I don't offend any Germans, but is it standard operating procedure to have the devil on greeting cards?  He looks a bit vampire-ish as well, like he's going to devour this fine lady.  And, those chains are a bit disturbing, if not titillating!




Creepy.  Just Creepy.



And finally, there's this little gem.  I have never fully understood the animal on animal race.  (can you see the words?  "a dead heat for the plate")  I see a turkey and two pigs, but for the life of me, I have no idea what that thing with the lemonhead is.  Do you?




Cards these days are SO boring in comparison.  I was definitely born in the wrong era. 

4 comments:

mel said...

Honestly, Ju, you are so funny, you should be writing a column for a newspaper. Thanks for a wonderful laugh!
PS - I think I might have nightmares about lemon head!

sherri s. said...

Too too funny. How different were sensibilities not THAT many years ago? The German one says "Greetings from Krampus"; Krampus is a "companion" to St. Nicholas. Apparently if kids were bad, they were told that St. Nick would bring their gifts but Krampus (who often wore chains, hence the chains on the card) would come and take them away. Nice! So much for "Ho ho ho and to all a good night!" (My husband is of German descent, lived there as a kid.)

Lemon Head remains a mystery to all of us, however...

JuJu said...

Sherri, thank you for the explanation. That will help me sleep better tonight. :-)

Dusti said...

Judi - Where did you find these? I've got no clue about lemon head. bizarro. Have you truly never seen a robin with an eye patch? I've seen millions. har har har.