Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pete Grimes, Chevy Novas and High School Crushes

Did you have that one mad crush when you were younger?  I don't mean a tv star, actor, or musician, but the kid in your school that just made you bonkers?

Before my junior year in high school, I was looking through my yearbook with Donita Yates.  She and I were reviewing our sophomore year, and anticipating the year ahead of us.  I was looking at the class ahead of me and stumbled across a picture of a boy named Pete Grimes.  I fell totally, 100% head over heels in love, had to date him, goo goo ga ga with PG right there on that hot August day in Terre Haute, Indiana.  I vowed that I would find a way to meet this wonderful creature. 


Fast forward to the beginning of the school year,  and picture me at my locker.  GUESS who had a locker near mine?  YES, glorious Pete Grimes.  For most of my junior year, I would stare at him, drool over him and plot ways to speak to him.  And, of course, I never did speak to him.  This is the boy whose clothes I would chart on my calendar.  (flannel shirt/jeans EVERY day)    I would sweat profusely between classes, at the thought of seeing him!!

Then, one day in March, all my books dropped out of my locker.  My savior that day was glorious PG.  He helped me pick them up, I smiled awkwardly, and after that, we started wonderful teenage conversations.  "Hey."  or, "Hi."    If I was feeling really loquacious, there would be a "How are ya?"  CLASSY stuff.  And, then one day, as we walked down the hall, he asked me what my plans were for the upcoming weekend.  Being the naive gal that I was/am, I had no idea he was asking me on a date.  So, I responded, "oh, I'll be working on the play."  (Oklahoma!)  So, poor PG had to be more succinct and ask me if I'd like to do something over the weekend.

PLEASE IMAGINE MY ABSOLUTE SWOON AT THIS POINT. 

Of course, I said yes, and then planned, replanned, changed, and changed again, the date oufit.  Back in those days, boys and girls talked on the phone,and we did that.  (I have no idea what we would have discussed!  But, I'm sure I thought he was sooooooooo smart.)  The lead-up to the date was so nerve wracking, and yet so thrilling.

And then it was time.  I wore my blue jeans, some kind of heel (ha!), a white blouse and a wrap around belt.  This all went with my BROWN hair, no chest, no hips physique.  I open the front door, and PG is wearing NOT a flannel shirt, but a blue Izod shirt with dark jeans.  Be still my beating heart!  We start our date by going to see "Kramer v. Kramer."  Wow, was that ever depressing.  But, did I care?  No.  I was at the Honey Creek Square Mall Theatre with Pete Grimes!   Too bad for you Meryl Streep, I know you are sad, but I am sitting next to Pete Grimes!!!


After the movie, we did what all kids that age did, we tried to find something to do.  After driving around and finding nothing, we settled on listening to this little hockey game, USA v. USSR in the 1980 Olympics.  That's right sports fans, I listened to the greatest hockey game with PETE GRIMES.  Granted, we were sitting next to a garbage dumpster, and granted, it was freezing cold, but lordy lordy, it was a historic evening.  I was sitting with Pete Grimes in his 4 door brown Nova, listening to history.  To this day, I can't see highlights of that game without thinking of my highschool crush.  Sigh.  Miracle On Ice.  Miracle Date.  Miracle that this boy asked me out.

You can see that this date had a HUGE impact on me, right?  I mean, it's almost 30 years later, and I can still recall the most minute details.  Looking at his yearbook picture, I still think he's cute!  So, what happened between me and Pete?  Was there a kiss goodnight?  Did we spend our life together?  Did I drop my books again?  Did I do anything stupid to screw up this thing?

Well folks...this blog is too long already.  You'll have to come back tomorrow for Part 2!!

7 comments:

unclebro said...

I'm looking forward to part II!!!!!

angie128 said...

You are cracking me up.
Can't wait to hear the big finale.

Dusti said...

I can't wait to find out what happened!

Anonymous said...

Absolute class! Can't wait for the next episode!
-Johnny

mel said...

He certainly looked cute in that yearbook pic! So what happened? Do you know where he is now??

On to #2....

~Easy said...

As I read this, I was thinking "who in the hell is Pete Grimes?". A second read reminded me that you weren't in STL until after I graduated.

*doh*

JuJu said...

John, this was when I lived in Terre haute. I moved to St. Louis for my senior year.

What year did you graduate anyway??