Sunday, December 20, 2009

Rosie-Susie


It's happened folks.  The day has come, and I have turned into my mother.  Lordy Be.

I can't complete a full sentence anymore.  I get...................oh, my thoughts go off in a different direction.  She used to do this. 

I am obsessed with my dog in an unhealthy manner.  She loved loved loved our dog, "PJ" to the point of loving her more than anyone else in our house.  (I'm ahead of her, I love myself best!)



She used the wrong words.  She always wanted to see a football game at the "mausoleum"  (Coliseum) and she loved the dogs that were Malibus and Muskies.  (a car and a fish)  And yes, I'm doing that. 



Rosie tended to exaggerate.  A LOT.  I mean, a million gajillion times a day! 




The woman loved red.  (note:  red belt below)  I am currently in my RED phase. 



The woman was culinarily (is that a word??) challenged.  She was a whiz at appetizers, but Lord the woman struggled with day to day meals.  Tonight, I had runny sauce with my Chicken Scallopine.  I am channeling my mother.

She loved to sleep.  That is now my favorite thing on the planet.

My nose will run water.  When I sneeze, I say, "God Bless America."  The skin on my hands looks weird.  I'm always listening to "oldies."  We do have our differences, for example, she was petite, and I am not.  She sported false eyelashes, I can barely manage mascara.  My mother was an unhappy alcoholic.  I am a happy person.

I dreaded this day for most of my years. I didn't want to be like her. I didn't want to be anything like her. She had so many shortcomings. She did so many things wrong. She made so many mistakes. You know, she was human.  But, she loved all of us, in her own way.  I understand that now.  We all love to the best of our abilities.  And, in her life, I don't think she ever called another woman a bitch, or any other name.  It took me way too long to discover that she was a lady and had grace and class; or as she would say, "clace and grass."

On Tuesday, she will have been gone for 14 years.  She's missed so many changes in my life, missed my kid's youth, and missed her golden years.  And, we've missed her presence in our lives.  So, I guess if I have to be Rosie Redux, it aint so bad after all. 


5 comments:

mel said...

Am I correct in that she is dancing on a table? Go, mama!

Ju,I think people probably do the best they can. My father had a drinking problem - he never thought he was an alcoholic but he might have been. One time I asked him why he did it and he said that I didn't understand - that I didn't understand his pain, that I didn't understand the losses he had suffered. I think he had more pain than he could live with without a crutch. Funny, he caused a lot of pain, but he was my biggest fan and I never doubted that he loved me. Maybe your mom did the best she could too.

It's up to us to find our ways past their weaknesses, so that we can embrace our own light.

Your mom seemed like she had some zest in her - do you get that from her?

JuJu said...

Oh, no table dancing. That was a fashion show! At the time, my dad coached with the St. Louis Cardinals, and this was a celebrity show with players (that player is Stump Mitchell), players wives, coaches wives and kids. It was the one and only time I ever modeled anything!!

Mary said...

Beautiful blog Ju. I did not know your Momma, but if you really are just like her - then I would have loved her too. Thank you for sharing this with us. Xoxo

Libby Buttons said...

What a wonderful post! I can relate to your epiphany all to well. Sleep has become a sort of hobby for me these days and I find myself talking way to LOUD as my mother always has done. So wonderful that you have broken the unhealthy cycle of alcoholism and are HaPPy! Thank you for being so entertaining to me this past year. I so enjoy our blog friendship.
Wishing you a season of CoMfOrt & JoY
LiBBy BuTTons

Dusti said...

great post, Judi