Monday, April 18, 2011

Backyard Mystery

I admit it.  I don't spend a lot of time in my backyard.  I usually only go out there when I let Rockett or the cats in and out. Our yard is so buggy, and as soon as I go outside the mosquitoes swarm.  But, during the springtime, we will get some flowers blooming, so at that time I might go check out the pretties.  (note:  any and all flowers were planted by the previous owners.  Steven and I have black thumbs.)

The other morning, I was lying in my bed, and I noticed this pretty colored thing in one of our trees:


I was too lazy to get out of bed to investigate, but I remember thinking how pretty that orange thing was. When we got home from work today, I went out back with Rockett, and noticed the interesting flower/thing again.  So, I moved a bit closer.


I realized there was something white and something orange.  I was intrigued.  I was feeling one with nature.  I was walking on the grass. 



What is this?  Why is there just this one bloom?  How amazing is nature that this can grow in a garden that receives little in the way of TLC?  I was praising nature.  I was proud of this strong flower growing in my yard.  I welcomed the symbol of persistence into my garden.  I had dreams of my yard being covered in these gorgeous flowers.  I envisioned receiving the "Yard Of the Month" award.

And then I saw this:


Curly vine?  Snake?  What could it be?


Price Tag.  Silk Garden Shop.
Fake Flower.
Placed in the tree by very funny boyfriend.


Oh well.  At least I don't have to go outside to water it.

3 comments:

mel said...

Cut off the pricetag and still keep admiring it from your bed. Lovely colors.


Word - an actual one! - trial.
Don't through them out, give those fake flowers a trial!

sherri s. said...

That's hilarious! I love the "I was feeling one with nature..." Ha!

word: defultin

Sadly, lots of folks are defultin on their loans.

Mary said...

Holy crap that may have been your funniest blog yet! Steven never ceases to amaze me with his funniness. Ha!