Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Dave


Well, actually, his birthday was yesterday.  But, we won't tell.  What I will tell you about today are my two Dave Meeting experiences, or what I refer to as "a date with destiny!"  (Too much?)  WARNING:  this post is probably going to be realllllllly long.

I've been in the DMB Fan Club (Warehouse) for over ten years now.  It's granted me many perks, mostly getting better seats for concerts than through normal ticketing.  And, then one year, I got REAL lucky.

I had tickets to see Dave and Tim Reynolds somewhere in North Carolina.  Prior to the show, I received a call from my lovely daughter, while I was at work.  She told me that "Dave Matthews" had just called me.  I giggled, and told her that this couldn't have happened.  She said she spoke to a woman and that she did as instructed when I wasn't home; told the woman I was asleep. 


Being the curious sort that I am, I asked her for the number from Caller ID, and then promptly called the number.  A nice young lady answered and explained that she was calling from Warehouse, and was giving ticket upgrades to fans.  But, since I wasn't there when she called, she had already given the tickets away to the next fan.  I pushed her to tell me what the seats were, and she begrudgingly told me "Front Row, Center."  SIGH.  I responded that at least I knew my daughter listened to me and was doing as I had taught her; you know a small victory and all that jazz.  At that point, she told me she was going to make it up to ME and put me on the "Meet and Greet" list for a Dave concert that summer. 


And, she did just that!!  (sidenote:  another reason I love DAVE so much is that he obviously surrounds himself with super nice people)  We saw Dave in Milwaukee that year, and myself and four other fans were invited backstage prior to the concert.  We were allowed to bring one friend and could meet Dave. We were instructed how to act, how not to act, and to not take pictures until the end.  We had smuggled in a disposable camera and Steven was excellent on the sly.  We got plenty of illegal pix!


Oh, how nervous and excited I was!  I had planned my Dave-Meeting Outfit for months.  We had flown to Milwaukee, tailgated, sweated and it was finally time.  And, then he came walking down the hill.  And, he spoke to us.  And he was as normal as normal could be.  Most of us couldn't speak, as we were in awe and shock.  Steven bantered back and forth with him, and it seemed as natural as could be.  We then had picture time and he signed things for all of us.  He was very gracious, kind and NORMAL.   And, after meeting us, he sang his heart out to thousands of folks.  And, I floated all the way through it.


Fast forward a couple years.  Steven and I were in Pittsburgh, again to see Dave in concert.  We were in our hotel lobby bar.  We were finishing out Happy Hour and Steven decided to take some things back to our room.  All of a sudden, he comes running back to me and informs me that DAVE is in the lobby.  Without forethought, I ran out there, and walked right up to my hero.  (sidenote:  he was on the way to the john, I'm sure he was so pleased that we stopped him)  We shook his hand and then I proceeded to ramble that, "I was here to see him, we had come all the way from Charleston, and we had met him in Milwaukee, and Oh, I love the new cd, and Oh, look at my tattoo, it's the firedancer, and I'm your BIGGEST fan., etc etc"  Yep. I was a 42 year old woman reduced to a 14 year old girl.  He listened to me, responded with thanks, and smiled while Steven took our picture.   (Please note the absolute look of shock on my face) 

By the way, both times I met Dave, I was sweating like a pig.  I wonder if he has that affect on everyone, or if I'm overly sweaty?

I digress.  Dave proceeded to the bathroom and then came to our hotel bar.  But don't worry.  We didn't bother him after that.  I don't even think I was staring.  TOO badly.  He met a few friends, then departed.  And, I floated through that entire evening.  (texting and calling everyone I knew, of course.  WHERE was Facebook when I needed it???)  Another sidenote:  later in the evening, as we were reliving the moment for the 99th time, in walks the Atlanta Braves baseball team; they were in town playing the Pirates.  PINCH ME!  I'm dreaming!!!

Again, Dave was total class and grace and made time for some strange girl and her Dave obsession.  I"ve met some famous people in my life, but oh, to meet THIS famous person, and find out that he was really nice was a real gift for me. It just makes the music, the concerts, and the memories that much more special.

So, Happy Belated Birthday Dave!  I hope the gifts you receive are as good as the gifts you've given!

1 comment:

mel said...

Wow - you have really connected with some famous people! What is it about your karma that does that??