Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hoist and Squeeze


When it comes to things healthy, I'm really not very good at it.  I overeat, I don't get enough physical activity.  (although, that is now changing with my purchase of the Wii Fit!)  I like to sleep more than just about anything in the world.

But there is one thing I do pretty well.  I am good about my well checkups.  I go every year for my annual FEMALE exam.  I take all my pills on a daily basis without forgetting.  And, every year, I go for my mammogram.  Today was mammogram day in JuJu's world.

In the hopes of shedding light to just ONE person, I'm chronicling my day for you.  Have no fear, there are no nudie pix. 


I love the building where I get my M performed.  It's set back from the road in a nice little area with some gorgeous trees.  It looks so tranquil.  Even from the outside, I think they are trying to calm you before you enter.

Once inside, the people are so nice, and they treat the patient like a queen!  One of my favorite parts is the dressing/changing room.  It's so pretty; even if Sandra Bullock was looking at me while I took off my top.    They always have these nice little wipes for you to remove your deodorant.  I love that they are called MAMMO WIPES.


LouAnne was my mammo tech today.  I love her.  She had the exam room nice and warm today.  That is appreciated as you stand there naked from the waist down, maybe with your big belly hanging out.  Then she places your boobs in the right position, pinches you, snaps the picture, and then lets you exhale.  Reposition.  Repeat.  Do this a few times, and then you're done.  It's just that easy.  IN and OUT in 10 minutes tops. 





And, as I leave, LouAnne hands me a rose.  She walks me out, thanks me for coming, and I feel good about me.  Hopefully, there are no abnormalities, and next year I go back for more.

I write this in hopes that if anyone is hesitant to have a mammogram, that they will bite the bullet and go for the squeeze.  Heck, having my senior picture taken was much more painful, required more posturing, and the results weren't nearly as good. 







And heck, at least I didn't have to worry about THIS:


5 comments:

Mary said...

Loved this one, too Ju! I didn't get a rose when I went for my mammogram. I am coming down to see your people next time!

mel said...

A rose?! Wow! And I thought ours was nice because they had pastries!

angie128 said...

I don't get a rose or pastries. (I double checked that word twice to make sure I didn't leave the "r" out....)

Funny stuff about your senior picture...

Yes, me and the sisters go get checked regularly.

Darla said...

Wow, Judi, I don't get a rose, either! But, I am good like you in that I take care of my body. Not always the best with the quality of food intake, but I am good about preventative medicine. My mamms don't hurt me at all. I can't relate any horror stories to my friends.

Good for you girlie. And keep passing the word!

Sherri said...

Amen! A routine mammogram caught my breast cancer four years ago at an early stage...all clear four years later (yay) EVERYONE (well, maybe not small children) should step on up to the booby cruncher once a year. I don't get roses, though...how nice!