Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bottle Cap Me

Steven and I enjoy our beer.  We always have, and we probably always will. 


One year for my birthday, he told me he was "making me something."  I tried to catch him making my gift, but never could. After awhile, I just forgot about it.  When my day rolled around, he unveiled the most wonderful present.  (to this day, it is STILL my favorite)  He had made a heart mosaic made from beer bottle caps.  The best part?  The caps were all from beers that we had enjoyed together.  He had been keeping them.  This mosaic contained close to 800 beer bottle caps.  He told me that at one point, he had to change the type of beer we were drinking in order to get the right color cap.  (such dedication!)   He made this for me when I was gone from the house, either at work, or taking Taylor to horseback riding lessons.  Each cap was hammered individually.  I can't tell you how much this means to me.

Since that day, we have collected caps.  Our friends collect them.  Friends of friends collect them.  We go to parties, and there is a bowl set out for people's caps.  Friends will come around and bring a baggy filled with caps.  We go to St. Louis once a year, and collect the caps Mike and Rose have saved for us.  Even my little nephews would keep them for us!  I've gotten to the point in my life where I can't throw a cap away.  We have so many caps in our house now, I am guessing into the neighborhood of 10,000?  (Steven, when you read this, please correct my numerical errors!!)  So many people have collected for us, he'll never be able to do enough mosaics to thank them!!


He did, however, make a few for the Charleston Animal Society.  Every year, they have an event called, "Furry Affair."  This is an art show where items can be donated for auction.  Steven has donated photographs and now the bottle cap art. 

Year one of the bottlecap donation, he did a picture of Rockett and one of a cat.  It was great fun to watch them sell.  I love mine, but you never know if folks will find beer bottle caps to be "art."  He spends so much time planning, creating and hammering!  Of course they loved them.  All creations sold and the money benefited our favorite cause!  It feels good to know that our beer drinking has a postive outcome...

Here's the more recent one he's done.  I love how the cat is peeking over the ledge.  It's so darn heavy, they couldn't hang it!



I'm so proud of Steven and his many talents.  I just wanted to share them with you this fine Thursday evening!

3 comments:

mel said...

Wow at the art!

Sigh at the heart, so romantic.

So cool. I can't believe you never told us this before.

You are livin' large, Ju!

angie128 said...

The heart mosiac is just the neatest, sweetest thing ever. Seriously.

And that doggie is just cute.

How cool is all that. He's talented!

Brandy said...

And I'm honored to say that Steve made me one such piece of art for my b-day years ago. I think he said it was only the 2nd one he made? My "Cheers" sign has hung proudly in my kitchen ever since. :-)