Monday, November 16, 2009

Step on a Crack, Break Your Mother's Back

I play games with myself all the time. When I was younger, I would hold my breath as I passed a cemetery.  (I think this was to keep the spirits from haunting me?)  If I were in a car, I would raise my legs off the floorboards as we drove over railroad tracks. I think this was so my future husband wouldn't die, or something life altering like that?   Life could get a bit tricky if we drove over railroad tracks and a cemetery at the same time!

When I was a teenager, I would grasp my necklace when the clasp turned around, make a wish, and put it to the back of my neck.  (I still do this even today!)  I made a wish as I blew an eyelash off my finger.  I make a wish on a shooting star.  Nowadays, kids make a wish at 11:11.  If I see this on the clock, I'm starting to do it.  I figure I need all the luck I can get?

I've subscribed to another theory for many years now.  I call it the GOOD DAY - BAD DAY formula.  If I have a good day on Monday, then Tuesday will no doubt be a bad day.  Sometimes, it works two days in a row--Two good, then two bad.  I've had good weekends, then bad weekends.  You get the gist of this, I'm sure.  I have found myself lying awake at night, counting the days to see what was upcoming.  A cynic would say that I make the good days good, and the bad days bad.  They might be right.  But, it's amazing how this system plays out for me!!


I have a new one.  And, it's a doozy.  When I sit on the toilet in our teeny tiny bathroom, and all the TP has been used, I am left with an empty roll.  As I replace it, ALWAYS putting the TP over (MEL!),I then toss the empty cardboard roll over to the trash can.  If it goes in, GOOD day.  If it pops out, BAD. You see, with this set up, I'm a bit more in control of the day, or so I tell myself.   The trash can is even lined up next to the wall and the dresser.  All days should be good ones, eh?  Alas, no.  Sometimes my toss is too heavy.  Others, the flip of my wrist is too much, and then PLUNK, onto the floor it rolls.  I tell you, at that point, I really hate to get off the can.

Do you have any crazy superstitions?

5 comments:

angie128 said...

I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one. :)

~Easy said...

For some reason the letters O, C, and D come leaping to mind . . .

Sherri said...

If you forget something and have to go back into the house to get it, you have to sit down and count to ten. Of course, that just makes you even later. Also, hats are never to be placed on beds.

mel said...

Oh, gosh, I am just sitting here laughing. I don't know, Ju, you on the toilet hoping for your 2-pt swish in the trash can...

OK. Confessions. I like things balanced. So sometimes if I see things like knobs on a printer or something, I will count out a pattern so that there are 4 buttons on one side of an imaginary line and 4 on the other. If I can force a visual balance, I am happy.

Nowhere near as funny as you playing Michael Jordan on your throne...

JuJu said...

Thanks guys, I feel less alone in my insanity now. :-)