Monday, November 23, 2009

I'm not sure this is what the Pilgrims and the Indians had in mind...


Now granted, I wasn't in attendance at the very first Thanksgiving, but I'm thinking that more often than not, we're not portraying it properly in our artwork.  I think we have the right idea in taking time out from our busy lives to reflect on those things for which we're thankful.  I think it's the perfect time for us to remember those who are less fortunate and to do something for them. 

But, I've come across a few pictures tonight that leave me scratching my head just a bit.  Maybe I'm just living in a sheltered world, but some of these Thanksgiving images are boggling my mind.

For example, this lovely lady just doesn't look like a native American.  She looks like a porcelain doll.  And, did she mean to light that fire in her teepee?





Um, what is she doing here?  Is she showing the turkey a mirror?   And, why is the turkey wearing a bonnet?  Did I miss the bonnet wearing turkey tradition somewhere?  I do like the red shoes though.




Okay, this one looks a little bit more normal. Are those her brothers, or her beaus?  The turkey looks good, but I'm not so sure about the sides.  And, how little are their drinking glasses?  That would drive me bonkers.  I don't think she likes that one to her right.



Here's a bit more modern spin on the traditional Thanksgiving celebration.  I am enjoying the perfect family with Dad, daughter, son and Hot Mama.  If I tried to cook in that dress, apron and shoes (although the shoes, again, are HOT!) I'd break a leg!  Apparently, she made that great meal on the table from one pot on the stove.




I have no earthly idea.





Finally, we have the frilly children.   I'm not sure, but I think that little gal has been up to no good.




7 comments:

mel said...

This is sooo funny! You have such a marvelous sense of humor. You must keep your friends laughing all the time. I loved the blog!!

angie128 said...

Ha!
Love the bonnet wearing, mirror looking turkey.

Pete said...

Hehe, this reminds me of Paul Mooney's "Know Your History: Jesus is black - so was cleopatra".

I love that last pic, particularly the missing slice. I always go for the peice that was stuck up a turkey's a##.

Celestial Charms said...

You had me in stitches reading this post. I'll never look at vintage holiday postcards the same ;)
Have a splendid Thanksgiving!
Maureen

Libby Buttons said...

LoL! It's been a long time since I rode a giant piece of corn!
smiles
LiBBy BuTTons
Country Lasses

Sherri said...

Aww...turkeys in bonnets! Just today I asked B. if he thought Tallulah Mae might like/wear a sweater (she gets chilly). He said no, I might as well put a bonnet on her head. It's a theme! Bonnets! How can the world have changed so much that the corn-riding postcard made sense to our great-grandparents but not to us?! Happy Thanksgiving...I'll be having the tofurkey over here...

~Easy said...

Uhmm . . . the little girl on the corn comes very near to kiddy pr0n. Just 'sayin.

Oh, and teepees were made so that a fire could be lit inside them, so that part was actually accurate