Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Crush


I've been alive for 46 years now.  Most of those 46 years, I've had some kind of ongoing crush.  I remember being in first grade and thinking a boy named Mark Anderson was the coolest swinger on the playground.  (and by swinger, I do mean using swings!)  I've crushed on obvious people like Robert Redford, Sylvester Stallone as Rocky only, Robbie Williams, Michael Jackson (WAY back in the 80s!), Michael Jordan, Cristiano Ronaldo.... But, there are some special ones out there from my life.

As you all know, my dad was a football coach, so many of my crushes tended to be athletes.  One of my first crushes was on a boy named John Moseley.  He was a punt returner for the University of Missouri.  My dad was coaching there at the time.  He was about 5'7, had red hair and freckles; not your typical football player.  But, he had an uncanny knack for running back punts for touchdowns.  One year for my birthday (probably number 10?) my dad convinced this poor kid to come to our house and wish me a happy day.  EXCITEMENT!  The Tigers went to the Sun Bowl that year, and at that point, families were included in the trip.  I got to sit NEXT to John Moseley on the airplane.  He slept, but I didn't care.  He was my first big crush and he was really nice to me.  How lucky was I?


My next crush was on Jimmy Connors.  I'm not so proud of this one. Whenever I think of him, I think of this cover of Sports Illustrated.  I do remember pretending to write letters back and forth to each other.   He always signed his, "Love, Jimmy."  He must have REALLY liked me.

I had a huge crush on a boy named Barry Kausler when I was in the 8th grade.  He had the hairiest legs I've ever seen. I remember taking a picture of him the last day of school.  What a dork.

Oh Gosh, then came probably the biggest crush in my life:  Pete Grimes.  People, I have so many blogs to share about Pete Grimes.  I used to write on my calendar what he would wear to school every day.  Here was the typical entry:  flannel shirt, jeans.  I came to realize that was what he wore every day.  Please remember this name, you will see it again. 


Remember Roger Staubach, the QB for the Dallas Cowboys?  After he retired, a young man named Danny White filled his shoes.  I had read an article on him in Sports Illustrated, and was inspired to write him a letter, wishing him luck on the season.  I also mentioned that my dad was coaching with the St. Louis Cardinals.  Well, he wrote me back!  It was in HIS handwriting, and he said he hoped to meet me when the Cowboys played in St. Louis.  And, he was true to his word.  He found my dad before the game, introduced himself (ha, like Dick didn't know who he was!) and we met up afterward.  He wore a purplish colored suede blazer.  Not a lot of men could pull off THAT look.




Probably my next big crush was on Greg Maddux.  I used to watch every single Braves game when he played for them.  Friends would buy his baseball cards for me.  I just loved how he always made things seem effortless.  And, those crazy lips of his just drove me crazzzzzy!  I haven't watched baseball since he left the Braves.  That love affair broke my heart.  I had to break it off with the entire sport!



And, now, my current crush is on Dave.  Dave, the man of silly dances, bad scats, and raised eyebrows.  Dave, the man who can't remember his words in concert.  Dave, of receding hairline and gorgeous voice.  He sings with passion, and I really like that.  I have been fortunate enough to meet him twice.  Both times, he was gracious, funny and appreciative.  Do I know how to pick em or what???



Now, share with me some of your crushes?

6 comments:

angie128 said...

When I was a kid, I had a crush on Shawn Cassidy, Eric Heiden, and George Brett.

My crushes now include Derek Jeter, Christopher Meloni, and Kirk Herbstreit.

Pete said...

My crush is Robbie Williams. Mmmm-mmmmm. ;-P

JuJu said...

Pete, don't be a hater. :-)

JuJu said...

Angie, you know I totally love me some Elliot Stabler.

mel said...

Here ya go.

It all began with Pierre, the little French Canadian boy, who emigrated from Canada in 4th grade and was divine although he spoke no English.

Fast forward to college, my biggest crush years. The two most memorable. The quarterback of the football team. I even went to football games because of him. My knees would become weak if I saw him in the cafeteria. He was huge and gorgeous. And I have no recollection at all of his name.

The second in college was a friend of my older brother. This guy was so cute and, better yet, smelled so good, I would intentionally walk back into rooms as soon as he left them so I could smell the air he left behind. which was intoxicating. Now THAT is a crush!

Oh, and re: Elliot. Yummy, yummy, yummy. That man has some tush!

Brandy said...

Oh, I know the name "Pete Grimes". Have heard his name often. ;-) And your love affair with Dave M knows no bounds. You know my main crush...my RICK SPRINGFIELD! He'll always be just a wee bit more than human to me. The highest of pedestals. Others are Dave Grohl, David Duchovny, Taye Diggs, & Mr. Chef Ramsey. (I can't help it...may be odd, but there's just something about him.)