Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Jetsons, Medical Center and Salmon Patties


I was doing my crossword this afternoon and came across the clue, "George Jetson works for                 Sprockets. "  I had a little giggle, and the filled in the seven letter word.  I used to love the Jetsons.  I loved their car, their maid Rosie, and their kitchen.  Wasn't that thing cool?  I always hoped when I grew up that I would have that kitchen and look like Jane.  (hasn't happened yet) 

In the tradition of writing down these things before I forget them, here are some other things that always remind me of my childhood:

Wieners and Beans and/or Salmon Patties - My mom used to make these horrible concoctions.  I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to eat either of these meals again.  Salmon Patties were always on Fridays during lent.  W & B?  Well, I'm still trying to block that one from my memory.  The woman was great with appetizers, but daily meals were a challenge to her.


The Velvet Doll - This doll grew hair out of the top of her head.  I used to pull it out, then wind it up in the back to make it shorter.  I can remember this little purple dress she wore and her strangely chunky doll legs.  I used to play Velvet Dolls with Beth Wright before piano lessons. 

Piano Lessons - Practicing piano and the flute occupied a lot of my time as a kid.  I would especially lose myself at the piano.  My mom always had an ugly bowl of plastic fruit on that piano.

Medical Center - I used to think Chad Everett was so cute.  I remember he wore clogs in the Operating Room. Chad was cool before his time.  I also used to love Ironside, All in the Family, The Carol Burnett Show and The Brady Bunch.  TV in the 70's was so bitchin!



Pittsburgh Steelers v. Anyone - I remember their many Super Bowl wins and watching Terry Bradshaw.  I can hardly watch his buffoonery on the Fox Sunday Show now.  But, back then, he was something to behold!

Roots - I don't have a lot of memories of watching anything other than sports with my family, but I do remember watching this with my dad.  Levar Burton.  Awesome.

D&H Drugstore - I used to ride my bike there to buy bubble gum.  I think it was a penny back then?  I would buy the plain bubble gum and the green apple gum.  Then, I would pedal my bike home again.  Small town America at its best!

Things we always had in our house:  footballs, baseballs, potato chips, jock straps, a schnauzer, the color ORANGE, an 8 track tape player, a telephone with a really long cord, shag carpet, strange bread, Suzy Qs, brown paper bags, ugly green carpet, the piano, coasters, and Sports Illustrated.






Oh, life was so easy back then.  We lived all day long and then slept peacefully all night.  We watched Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings. We gave our neighbors May Day Baskets.  We hung out with our neighbors.  (Ben Bladel is the blonde headed boy in this pic)  We dreamed of our futures.

And that seven letter word?  SPACELY













8 comments:

Mary said...

great blog, ju!

mel said...

Beautiful memories!

mel said...

Did you watch Lost in Space? I loved that one too.

angie128 said...

"Like"

Sherri said...

Oh, the salmon patties! I swear that one of my childhood babysitters made us eat salmon patties EVERY DAY for lunch. With kale. Oh yes. My mothers says I'm crazy, that it wasn't every day, but she wasn't there, was she, hmmmm? They had little weird gristly salmon bits in them...no wonder I'm a vegetarian now!

~Easy said...

Ha! I knew the word.

Funny story about Medical Center: This was my mom's favorite show for a long time, and she never missed it.

Then came the week that we didn't watch it, followed by another one. When I asked my mom about it, she said that she'd seen Chad Everett on Johnny Carson list his wife as one of his favorite possessions.

Another actress (whose name escapes me now) asked him if he actually considered his wife to be a possession like his corvette. When he replied yes, the actress stormed off the set in a huff.

After that, my mom wouldn't wacth anything with "that male chauvinist pig" on it.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

erotik webcam

Cam2Cam Sex

sexy frauen