Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fire, Oysters and Thou


They tell us down here that you can eat oysters during any month with an "R" in it.  Well, you can eat oysters year 'round, but oysters are in season during those R months.  Since it is November, we're a good two months into oyster eating season.  Last night's OR was in honor of Jodi's 30th birthday. 

At Brad and Chrissa's wedding two weeks ago, their rehearsal dinner was an oyster roast at a beach house.    Next weekend, we'll be going to Larry and Mary's house for an oyster roast.  Everywhere you look around town, there are oyster roasts being held for various charities.

Besides the fact that oysters are so darn yummy, why so many of these events?



I think OR's are so popular because they promote a
sense of community and camaraderie.  Everyone stands around the oyster table to eat.  (one would never eat them on a plate!)  There's always at least one oyster rookie, and one oyster shucking challenged person at the table.  (usually me)  So what does a good oyster shucker/eater do,  but help pop open the shell.  Then all revel in the joy of the oyster and the cocktail sauce.  And, there's something particularly satisfying about tossing that oyster shell into the hole in the table which leads to the trash can.  It just feels so good and complete.



There was a cornhole game that was played.  Johnny and Steven were the undefeated champions at the point of this picture.  I love this game, because, even an old gal like me can play it.  Dusti and I gave it a good try, but those stinky boys beat us.  It's amazing how this grown up game of "Toss Across" can amuse for hours!

In this picture, you'll find another of my favorite things about ORs:  the fire pit.  I do love sitting around the fire and watching the embers smolder.   Of course, there were S'Mores, and all the joy of cooking and eating them!  (try using a Snickers bar for your chocolate next time you're S'moring!)  I love getting up from the fire, only to feel that autumn chill, and then to return to the warmth of the fire.

Many of our friends are starting to have children (yes, many of our friends are A LOT younger than we are!) and bringing them to these events.  It is a great place for kids. There were all ages last night, from the 5 month old double Swedes to my 17 year old baby.  Kids love OR's as much as adults do.   Not only were the kids there, but the dogs showed.  At one point there were two black labs, a white lab and a little brown Riley.   It's great to have all the loved ones together.




So, if you're having an Oyster Roast any time in a month with an R, you can count on my attendance.  I will never tire of the lovely little sea creature, or the occasion where they are served.  


Nice one Taylor.  :-)

5 comments:

mel said...

I have never been to an oyster roast. Let's have one when I come for a visit!

angie128 said...

Sorry, but ick.

JuJu said...

Angie, I bet you'd enjoy them with some ICED TEA and MUSHROOMS!

:-)

sherri s. said...

So...what is a cornhole game? I am, childishly, reminded of Beavis and Butthead when I hear that (heh, heh). And thanks for thinking of me--I'm doing OK (not great, but OK).

Brandy said...

Must get myself to an oyster roast soon. :-) By the by, GREAT picture of the twins. Love it!